Does exactly what it says! This is going to make playing a lot of WADs a lot more fun :)
JP's Secret Finder for GZDoom
A downloadable mod
This mod equips a new Finder weapon on slot 8. Pull it out, and the nearest object of certain specified type(s) will show up on your screen, like an "objective marker" in many modern games, even if it's behind several walls.
It's technically cheating, sure, but it feels like an in-game tool, and doesn't completely remove the challenge of finding stuff.
You can configure what the Finder looks for in its options menu:
- Secret Areas
- Monsters that are still alive
- Health/Armor Bonuses
- Interactive Walls (Switches, Secret Doors)
- Level Exits
You can also press alt fire (right mouse button, by default) to bring up a point-n-click configuration panel in-game for changing the same options.
So this could help you, for example, find 100% items and secrets in a map.
Or maybe you just can't find the red key, and feel the IDDT cheat code is too boring.
You can also configure the Finder's range. The default of 2500 units usually works well, but you can change this if you're in a huge sparse map, maybe.
There's also an option to tell GZDoom not to count health and armor bonuses as "items" for the purposes of the item % tally at the end of each map.
Finder view sprite from Chex Quest.
This mod makes use of some cool ZScript code that Marisa Kirisame wrote to convert world space coordinates to screen space coordinates.
- New build: require GZDoom 4.1.0 or later31 days ago
- New build: level exit detection, some small fixes51 days ago
- New build: in-game config UI, switch finder, and more57 days ago
- New build: fixed missing tool sprite74 days ago
- New build: only run finder calculations if tool is equipped75 days ago