A downloadable mod
A cozy Doom mod that radically repurposes any Doom level into an Animal Crossing-like nonviolent social space where each monster has a name and something to say. You play Mr. Friendly, a Guardian Demon tasked with helping improve the lives of Hell's minions as they recover from the latest space marine rampage. Level exits work normally; the point is to chill out, do quests, interact with stuff, and explore.
Requires GZDoom 3.3 or later. Works with any Doom IWAD (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom) and a majority of user-created vanilla Doom levels.
This mod is still in development and still using some placeholder art, provided here on itch mainly as a way to distribute builds to interested players. See the project's Trello progress log here. If you're interested in contributing pixel art please see the cards in the "Art" column of that board and leave a comment!
- Spacebar: Talk to monsters + interact with normal Doom stuff like switches and doors
- 1: Equip the grabber, allowing you to pick up and hold objects from the world. Also comes with a "zapper" that can trigger the rare shootable switch.
- 2: Equip the texture sampler, which can grab the texture from any surface you point it at.
- 3: Equip the fishing rod, which you can use to fish in any pool of liquid.
- 4: Equip Guardian Vision, aka "golden eyes", which allows you to see certain otherwise undetectable objects.
- Left mouse button: Use the currently selected tool. With the grabber equipped, clicking or holding it again drops or throws the currently held item.
- Right mouse button: When the grabber is equipped, stash the currently held item. (Note: in the alpha build you may have to bind this, as "alt-fire")
- Q: Bring up the quest screen, showing all quests you've discovered on this level.
- E: Bring up the inventory/crafting screen, showing all the objects you've stashed, and allowing you to craft special items out of ordinary ones.
- F: Toggle flight off and on, in case you'd rather walk. Might help motion sickness-sensitive players.
- Tab: Bring up the map screen.
- Kotaku: A Doom Mod Where You Make Friends With Demons
- PC Gamer: Help demons come to terms with their crappy jobs in the Doom mod 'Mr. Friendly'
- GameStar: Doom - Mod Mr. Friendly setzt auf Liebe und Freundschaft statt auf Monstermetzelei
- Game*Spark: 『Doom』の世界でのんびり過ごす『どう森』ライクなMod「Mr. Friendly」新バージョンが配信
Open the file "friendly.zip" or its enclosed "friendly.pk3" with GZDoom, either from the command line or by dragging the mod onto GZDoom's icon.
- Build 63: fixed crash after loading a new map with Sector Tool10 days ago
- Build 62: fix for stuck items, option for pentagram-free UI14 days ago
- Build 61: a few small fixes, soundtrack additions51 days ago
- Build 60: proper sector tool, randomness fix, crash fixes52 days ago
- Build 59: tons of fixes, prototype sector tool52 days ago
- Build 58: crafting refactor, bugfixes54 days ago
- Build 57: Fixed "mislabeled fish" bug & others55 days ago
- Build 56: proper fish splash FX, more fish55 days ago